But sadly busy with too many client projects and getting my game pitch ready for GDC 2019.
It still hurts me every day that I am unable to progress in this project, and I keep it on top of my list, it’s just a list with lots of things on top of it.
I got some work in the save/loading routines that I haven’t posted about, I’ll hopefully have some news about that next week.
Many things were done in order to reach M1, besides some tweaks on the maps and the scenario data itself (NPCs stats, dialogs), here’s a list of changes on the engine.
- Add trigger to set enemies hostile, make waitCommand intent work
- Make “bye” be the default keyword
- Scale viewport to fit available space and center horizontally
- Only show messages in combat mode
- Remove party member when dead
- Fix issue with Cancelled flows
- Prevent party members from initiating attacks
- Prevent far away mobs from acting, except if they have been hit
- Start combat mode whenever a mob attack happens, regardless if its a party member
- Activate mobs in batch after the player has been added
- Block action while targetting for Attack command
- Handle “targetting” state transition to prevent UI conflicts
- Update interaction type label when combat ends
- Reset state correctly after getting an item
- Make friendly mobs (not party members) attack enemies in combat
- Don’t consider neutral mobs as a treat
- Add “wander” intent by default
- Transport party members to new map
- Chain trigger actions using promises
I tried to get the packaging system to work for this version (in order to create native executables), but sadly NW.js doesn’t seem to be on a usable state now (at least not for Mac). So this will be delayed to M2 where I’m most likely to look into ElectronJS for this.
You can check a working scenario using version 0.3 of the engine here! All bug reports are welcome, initially via comments on this post (until we have a working web forum)
Of course, the gitlab repository has been updated for backers to play around with this, ask in the Discord channel for guidance if you want to use it to start creating your games.
- Execute mob triggers in sequence
- Load items from tiled map
- Add cutscene type trigger
- Add load map type trigger
- Fix ‘combatTurn’ trigger type to only work while in combat
This completes the planned scope for M1, however, there are still some things I want to do before releasing it:
- Enhance cutscene for the transition to Iolo’s
- Add portrait for Shamino
I’ll also clean up the bugs backlog (7 items there now).
V0.2 is now available privately for backers with access to the gitlab repo.
- Combat mode
- Only include mobs nearby to the party on the active queue
- Prevent starting conversations while in combat mode
- Add triggers by “combat turn #”
- Party Status
- Add support for party member portraits
- Add health bars
- Add look command for mobs (Click on them to display info)
- Fix: Ignore neutral mobs on friendly mobs pathfinding
- Fix: Crash when mob interacts with the player and he hasn’t moved.
- Game Over
- Freeze mob actions
- Show Game Over popup
We expect to complete Milestone 1 pretty soon, these are some of the things we have been working on:
- Block conversations while in combat mode
- Look command to examine NPCs
- Control the GameOver flow.
- Add indicator of HP for party members
Welcome to openarthurian.com!
Development of the engine will be posted here, for past entries make sure you check the OpenArthurian category at Slashie’s blog.
This site now contains dedicated pages for:
- About: What is this project
- Project Status: How far along are we
- Project Plan: Detailed progress on the plan
- Instructions: To create games using the engine
- Contact: No